Monday, April 24, 2017

HMPositivity

When I applied to UNH, I was accepted as an engineering student. I wanted to save the world through environmental engineering. I didn't realize, however, that there is so much math involved in engineering (I knew it was relevant but I didn't know it would be the only thing we would be doing). It didn't take long for me to realize that engineering was not for me and I was left searching for a new purpose in my education.

My adviser at the time suggested that I take random classes from all sorts of backgrounds. I knew that I still wanted to help people somehow, I just didn't know in what way. I ended up randomly taking epidemiology and I loved it. And I'm so happy I did because it sparked my interest and was the catalyst for one of the best decisions I've ever made... Joining HMP!

I hadn't met anyone from the major by second semester sophomore year, but then I met Jess (where we suffered together through 3 hours in a row of human behavior). After that, first semester this year I met pretty much everyone else and it's been amazing so far and keeps getting better. These people are so supportive of one another and we all wish for each others success. It is a really positive group of people and I am so happy I joined the major and became a part of it. They are some of the best friends I've made in college. Not only that, but our professors are so supportive of our work and success! Not everyone can say that about their professors.

As this year comes to an end it is important to reflect on the hardest year I think any of us have endured in terms of course work. But it has also helped us grow and become the close-knit group that we are, and for that I'm, in a weird way, grateful for the terrible homework assignments, seemingly impossible problem sets, and horrible exams.

2 comments:

  1. Did I talk to your human behavior course?

    Nice that you found Jess.

    Of course none of my assignments were terrible, impossible, or horrible...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way before joining HMP. I was super confused and unsure about what I wanted to do with my life after college. Im so grateful for this program and the people who are a part of it!

    ReplyDelete