Friday, May 5, 2017

Prioritizing

Over the course of this semester I have learned a lot about how to be a successful professional. Through this class, my other four classes, my jobs, and trying to balance all of that out with a personal life I have been able to grow and learn the importance of prioritizing.

Prioritization takes a lot of discipline; making sure you do all your work before you go to hang out with friends, or making sure you do the assignments that are most pressing first instead of putting them off by doing other work. It definitely feels easier to procrastinate sometimes, but as we all move on into our internships, and eventually our professional lives, prioritizing becomes vastly more important. When expense reports are due, project presentations are looming, executive decisions need to be made, etc., the stakes are high and prioritization becomes a necessity.

This article by the National Association of County and City Health Officials gives a very detailed view into many techniques for prioritizing the tasks that one may face while in work. I like the article because it gives insight as to how to start prioritizing and the information can be used in any sector of life when making decisions. I think it's helpful to read about the different methods for how to devise a strategy for assigning numerical values to the items on your 'to do' list, 1 being the highest priority. Or the method of voting on the items on the 'to do' list and the item with the highest score becomes the highest priority. The article shows how to use these methods in your own life.

Although there is still glaringly obvious room for improvement in self-discipline and prioritization, I appreciate the knowledge I have gained and skills I have developed over this semester, and this year.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you Sarah, life has been kicking my butt lately. I know we will figure it all out though, it's almost over!

    ReplyDelete