Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Time Management

We're currently in the midst of our last week of junior year and my mind is buzzing from a lot of things. It's crazy to think about how fast time flies, even though it sometimes feels like it's stagnant. Now it's time to get through finals and finish the year on a good note. While a lot of people are looking forward to the long break to hang out with friends and stay outside all summer, the junior HMP majors have a different story to tell, and I have an even more different story.

We will all be embarking on our summer internship opportunities at various hospitals and healthcare facilities around the region working 40 hours a week for 8 weeks. It's definitely the most exciting part of this year. I know I am excited for the variety of things that I will be doing at the hospital where I will be interning. Some people are starting right after the school year ends so they can have the later half of their summer off, and some are waiting a bit to give themselves a break before going to work all summer. I know people who aren't getting paid at their internships who are working weekend jobs and some of them who are not. We will definitely be busy this summer, no matter what.

I gave myself no time, though. I am currently an RA here, I work at the Institute for Health Policy and Practice, and I just recently started working at an ice cream shop in Boston (Fomu...it's the best). I finish being an RA and working at IHPP on May 18th and then work at Fomu that weekend, then start at the internship on Monday the 22nd. And even though I am starting so early in the summer and will be ending mid August, right after I finish I will be moving back to school for RA training before everyone comes back to school.  The more I think about it, the more overwhelming it seems that I will not have any free time this summer.

But I think it will teach me even more about time and stress management than I already know. Being able to juggle a full time job, a part time job, and preparing for the school year as an RA will be a lot. I am hoping to get as much out of these opportunities as possible, and I'm already thinking that working at Fomu will essentially be my 'free time' because it will be an easy job in an ice cream shop.

Let's see if I make it out of this summer alive.

4 comments:

  1. I'm very excited to start my internship in Concord as well! I am definitely nervous as well because I don't know exactly what to expect. I start my internship on the 22nd and its crazy how fast it is approaching. Overall I definitely think it will be a great learning process for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being able to juggle all of these jobs and end of the year activities will definitely help you practice time management. I think you've been doing a great job keeping up with class too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said roughly the same thing in my newsletter last week. At the end of semester time seems to simultaneously speed up and slow down. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to start my internship too, but I am going to have to juggle two jobs at once as well! Wishing you the best of luck...

    ReplyDelete